Aging to Perfection
As the job market becomes more challenging, we have seen an increase in the demand for cosmetic procedures among men. Men are looking for a fresh, more youthful appearance that will improve their job opportunities or help advance their current career. While men are seeking the same treatments women have long embraced, there are distinct differences in men and women’s skin, facial anatomy and their aging process.
Differences in men’s skin include:
- Thicker with larger pores which generates more sweat and sebum
- Fewer wrinkles in the beard area due to the increased number of hair follicles which also provide facial structural support
- Shorter hairstyles and balding scalps combined with outdoor occupations and hobbies more frequently expose men to UV radiation, increasing their riskor skin cancer and premature aging
- Facial bone structure is more prominent and stronger
- Common concerns among men include deep expression lines, uneven complexions, excessive hair, hair loss and age spots.
Treatments for these concerns include:
- Dermal fillers to restore a more youthful appearance
- Skin resurfacing (chemical peels, microdermabrasion or lasers) to improve fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, age spots and acne scars
- Neurotoxins, such as BOTOX®, Xeomin® or Dysport® to soften expression lines
- Laser hair reduction on areas such as the back and neck
- Laser treatment of facial blood vessels
Men can make a difference with their at home skin care by following some basic daily steps:
- Apply sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher
- Face washing after any workouts with a mild cleanser
There is no one single approach that will help everyone, so a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist is recommended to determine the best treatment to address individual problem areas or concerns.